Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences, University of Sarajevo
The Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences in Sarajevo proudly bears the name of the oldest secular institution of higher education in BiH. On March 21st, 1940, the Decree to found the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry was officially issued.
Classes initially started at the end of January 1941 but were abruptly halted in April due to the outbreak of World War II. The entire faculty was devastated and remained non-functional until the liberation of the country.
By the end of 1946, a board of experts selected a new facility at Zagrebačka Street 18, Grbavica. The Faculty remained located there until 1992.
The official opening ceremony took place on November 2nd, 1947. Dr. Dragomir Ćosić was elected as the very first Dean of the college, alongside Dr. Nikola Zdanovski as Vice-Dean.
On December 17th, 1948, the National Assembly enacted the official statutory law establishing the Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry in Sarajevo.
The joint institution officially split into two separate entities: The Faculty of Agriculture and the Faculty of Forestry. The agricultural branch introduced three distinct specializations.
The Department for Processing and Control of Agricultural Products was founded. In 1983, a regional section was successfully launched in Mostar.
The original building was completely burned during the war. Rebuilding from scratch, the Faculty successfully relocated to its current facilities inside the Campus.
Modern undergraduate programs conforming to the Bologna standards were introduced. Master's programs were integrated in 2008, followed by Ph.D. studies in 2014.
The institution has produced nearly 5,200 graduate engineers, 375 Master of Sciences, and over 230 PhDs, heavily contributing to agricultural development.